The European Union has announced that it is prepared to accept an Iranian offer to restart nuclear talks.
Reuters reports that EU foreign policy spokesman Michael Mann said on Saturday that the EU is open to resuming talks with Iran.
Mann said: “We continue to pursue our twin-track approach and are open for meaningful discussions on confidence-building measures, without preconditions from the Iranian side.”
The EU statement appears to be in response to conciliatory signals from Sheikh Attar, Iran’s ambassador to Germany.
Attar said Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator, Saeed Jalili, is going to write to Catherine Ashton, the EU head of foreign affairs, to establish that Iran is ready to resume nuclear negotiations with the G5+1.
Ashton had indicated in a letter to Saeed Jalili two months ago that world powers are willing to resume nuclear talks with Iran. She had added, however, that the renewed talks cannot be an continuation of last year’s talks in Istanbul, which she described as “disappointing.”
The G5+1 wants Iran to stop uranium enrichment, but Iran denies having any military component to its nuclear program and says it has a right to enrich uranium to provide fuel for its nuclear reactors.