The Iranian judiciary has announced that the executed man who has survived his hanging will not be subjected to another execution.
Sadegh Larijani, the head of Iran’s judiciary, announced on Wednesday October 23 that the drug convict is to be granted a pardon.
The 37-year-old drug trafficking convict was arrested three years ago for possession of one kg of crystal meth and was held on death row in Bojnoord Prison. He was subjected to a hanging last Wednesday but was found alive 24 hours later at the morgue.
The judge in his case previously had said that he would have to be executed again after he recovered from his condition in the hospital.
The announcement triggered criticism from several Iranian religious authorities and was also denounced by Amnesty International.
An identified source has told Khorasan Daily that the executee has now recovered from an earlier coma and progressing toward complete recovery.