A storage facility for tools and materials near the Tehran furniture market caught fire on Monday January 5 in the Baft Abad neighbourhood.

According to Iranian media, the fire is widespread but so far there are no exact reports regarding casualties or damages.

The Mehr news agency reports that the fire started in three wood storage units and the police have closed all the streets leading to the facility in order to ease rescue and firefighting operations.

Fire previously struck the Tehran furniture market two years ago. While the incident claimed no lives, crowds and traffic in the area caused major delays in extinguishing the fire.

Investigations determined that a malfunction in the electrical wiring was the culprit.