Twenty-one workers in Gilan have fallen victim to carbon monoxide poisoning at their workplace in the city of Roodbar.

On Monday July 21, the Etemad daily reported that the head of Gilan Emergency Services said the 21 welders have been transferred to hospital for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Amaneh Akhlaghi said that immediately after the initial reports of their illness, three ambulances were dispatched to the location to transfer the workers to hospital.

She added that so far the welders are being successfully treated and there have been no deaths.

A lack of compliance with safety regulations and the use of substandard equipment have been reported as causes of the mishap.